Monday, September 24, 2012

Local hospital policies

Most of the placentas I've processed so far have been from home or birth center births, however I've had a few hospital births and I've learned that every hospital policy is different. I recommend that before you birth you not only discuss obtaining your placenta with your care provider, but with your birthing facility as well. Your OB may say obtaining your placenta is no problem, however the hospital (ahem, Fauquier, I'm looking at you) may have a set of stipulations that can alter encapsulation plans. INOVA Loudoun won't object to a support person walking your placenta out to me for pick up, however Fauquier requires (currently - when faced with enough objection I'm sure that policy could be changed) that your placenta leave the hospital with you at discharge. They will refrigerate it for you during your stay. Remember that it's most helpful to start taking your capsules beginning at four to five days postpartum when you hit a hormone dip; keep that in mind when engaging your care providers. If you run into a problem it's better to deal with it before you have a beautiful baby in your arms! If you have questions or concerns about a specific hospital policy let me know and we can brainstorm a solution together. I will add/update hospital policies here.

Peaceful birthing to you :)

No comments:

Post a Comment